Sergiusz UrbanLawyer, Counsel firstname.lastname@example.org
T: +48 61 855 32 20
Sergiusz is the head of the environmental law practice, working closely with the M&A, energy, real estate and infrastructure teams.
A specialist in the environmental law and policies of the European Union and Poland, with many years of experience advising businesses and public entities, he provides assistance to clients across various economic sectors, such as energy, chemistry, construction, food, real estate and local government.
Sergiusz specialises in Polish and EU environmental law, nature preservation law and geological and mining law, and advises clients on waste management, environmental impact assessments (including impact assessments in relation to Natura 2000 protected areas), environmental permits, industrial emission regulation and integrated permits (IPPC/IED, emission standards, BAT conclusions etc.). He provides assistance with issues relating to water management, sewage disposal, remediation, soil and land quality, noise protection, and liability for environmental damages and pre-existing (historic) contamination. Sergiusz also supports clients in the process of obtaining, changing, transferring and cancelling environmental permits and approvals, and in the course of administrative proceedings, and represents them before administrative authorities and courts.
A graduate of the Faculty of Law and Administration at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Sergiusz earned his PhD from the Institute of Law Studies of the Polish Academy of Sciences. A holder of grants from the European Environment Agency, American University Washington College of Law and the University of Insubria Faculty of Law, he also completed a six month internship at the European Commission’s Environment Directorate-General.
He is an academic lecturer and a speaker at numerous conferences and training events on the subject of environmental protection, as well as the author of numerous specialized and popular science publications.
- Provided advice to one of the largest telecommunication operators in the world in relation to its liaison with the Inspection for Environmental Protection and Marshal Office (regional authorities) on packaging and packaging waste requirements and environmental fees;
- Worked with Orlen Upstream sp. z o.o. and Talisman Energy Polska sp. z o.o. on environmental aspects of shale gas exploration;
- Advised CERAC sp. z o.o., IKEA and Nordea on legal and environmental aspects of purchasing operating wind farms as well as in design phase;
- Advised EDF Polska sp. z o.o. on the transfer of administrative permits relating to the acquisition of two CHP plants;
- Advised Ciech S.A. on environmental protection aspects of the purchase of shares of Zakłady Chemiczne Rudniki S.A., a chemical sector company.
One client emphasises Sergiusz Urban’s ability to "explain complex issues and answer ad hoc questions," adding: "We also appreciate his practical experience of other industries and sectors." – Chambers Europe 2019 | Environment
He is a specialist who is very diligent, well prepared and totally focused. – Chambers Europe 2018 | Environment
Sources value the fact that "he understands his clients and is available." – Chambers Europe 2017 | Environment
Satisfied client was impressed with his "knowledge of all the court judgments and ability to connect the problem with proper solutions." – Chambers Europe 2016 | Environment